Relationships are always found to be the hardest goals to work on, because of the reason that they involve another party. This adds a whole new dynamic to it, compared to goals like earn income or losing weight, which are more static and linear. Sometimes you have to show the willingness that you want to make the bond strong.
These are some important tips for improving your relationship with your parents:
1. Say no to yelling: Yelling should be a complete no. There is no excuse for it. You are the adult and it is your responsibility to not succumb to the heat of the moment.
2. Be respectful: Even if you are not agree with your parent or their parenting style, values or principals then also try to show courtesy to them just for the fact that they are your parents.
3. Avoid arguments: If history has proven that arguing with your parents causes major and severe conflict, then you should stay away from it. This may mean that you have to be patient when one of your parents says something controversial. Be clear, whether the need to respond is necessary. If it is then make the point clear and add that you don’t want to argue. Then change the topic.
4. Accept that you cannot change your parents: If you want to maintain or make a positive relationship with your parent then understand this that you have to deal with them as they are. This will require a lot of patience on your part.
5. Explain them the reason why you want to make a good relationship with them: If you want to create a strong bond between your parents and you, then told them that you want a better relationship so that when you are about to give up they will make an effort.